How I trained in 2012?


The training is more about constant repetitive practice. In any sport, the athletes train, run, do practice drills to keep themselves sharp and always ready. Similarly in chess, we must keep ourselves sharp by going through chess games and improving every aspect of chess (endgame, positional chess, endgame, etc). I did that using chess books.
1.       I played through chess games from Kramnik’s best games of chess, Anand’s best games, my system. You can use any book you feel will help you the best (could be Tal’s or Fischer, anyone). The idea is that you see 3-4 or more full GM chess games a day so that you would get accustomed to moves made by GMs so when you face one, you will be less nervous/afraid. You get the point right? The words I use to describe it is you see 3-4 GM games a day, in 6 months u see 200+, you don’t feel like the GM is doing anything special except maybe for a few moves here or there. After I go through each game, I will put the book aside and play through that game again without the book. You tend to remember the game better if you understand it.
2.       I study a lot of endgames. Endgames are very dry and boring, especially the theoretical ones. The books I used were of a more practical nature and thus, were more ‘fun’ to study. I used Test your endgame ability by August Livshits and Jon Speelman. I also used “the Greatest chess endings ever played”. This book didn’t just show the endgame, it shows you how the endgame was reached which is helpful since it goes through the whole game (see 1 above). It also helps in the sense that you can connect opening to middlegame to endgame and this helps you to learn the skill of knowing and recognizing possible endgames which are good for you while you are still in the middlegame. Many famous GMs have said that to learn chess, you must first study the endgame.
Jan-June (University: 2-4 hours training a day)
I didn’t have a lot of time during this period. Basically I wake up around 630. I do 2 first, I always study endgames first (Notice that I didn’t study openings). Then I proceed to play through a game. I always do at least 1 of both but I try to do 2-2. Then I go to class at 9am. Then I spend 1-2 hours at night before I go to sleep doing that same routine.
I do more on weekends but not much more. Basically, this was my bread and butter during the training. Endgame and GM Games. Consistency is the important thing here. Every day, no exceptions except during exam days and day before.
July-Aug (whole day free)
This was when I studied openings in addition to the bread and butter training. I used the GM Repertoire books and many others. I basically read 5 Opening books during this period.
The opening books didn’t help me as much as going through games and endgames did which helps you recognize themes and patterns better. I am not saying openings aren’t important. I basically just restudied/revised them while preparing for my opponent before the games during Olympiad.


You can use any book you like. It depends on your strength. You should always use books that are just beyond your current strength, like at the edge of your limits. It’s like weight lifting. You find it hard to lift 20kg but after repetitive practice, you will find it to be easy. Then you lift a 21 kg weight until it becomes easy, and so on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to do Calculation? VIDEO

Literacy-Fluency-Mastery