What makes your memory even more Powerful?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=693361921100036

Click the link to see original article with video. (Might need to refresh the page)


How many of you have a memory that you remember as if it were yesterday? How many of you have more than one such memory?

I thought university was going to be an extension of college. Boring passive learning style lectures. At the first class of my IPM module, my lecturer was standing at the middle behind a large rectangular shaped table. The table was longer than my small bed. On the top of his table were his briefcase, some books and chalk. He was wearing a black turtle neck t shirt. No collar. He didn't look like a professor at all even though he had 2 PhDs. The whole class was noisy. He picked up the chalk, went to the black board and started writing. Everyone starting looking at the board. And then we were all quiet as he turned. Not one sound. His name was in big capital letters on the board together with the title Introduction to Pure Mathematics. There was suspense.

He asked the question, who learnt mathematics in school or a levels?
Some people raise their hands and some didn't but obviously we all learnt it. Then it was quiet again. Pin drop silence.

And then BOOM!! He pushed his briefcase and books onto the floor. The contents of his briefcase was all over the floor. Everyone was suddenly awake and attentive. Again there was suspense. He just stood there and at the middle of the table. His stuff on the floor and he is just looking at us smiling. There was suspense. Is this guy mad?

The next words that came out of his mouth I will never forget. Just one sentence. Just one. And in that one moment, this became my favourite subject. It was the hardest and also had the lowest passing rates and average score every year. It was my highest scoring subject that term. 90+. All because of this teacher.

I didn't understand what he was doing at that time. It was only until I read 'The power of moments' by Chip and Dan Heath that I understood how to apply it.

If I can summarise the book in one sentence, it would be this:
The things we best remember whether good or bad, the moment that makes us remember it takes place in a short moment compared to the part we don't remember.

What small thing can you do in a short moment to make your child's learning experience better.
Think about that. I had many ideas before I stumbled onto one that works. Enjoy the video. It happens in my workshops. The students will present on what I taught in their own words. For other chess coaches, you can take this idea and do it with your own students.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to do Calculation? VIDEO

Literacy-Fluency-Mastery